Monday, November 3, 2014

ScrapHack: Salvaged Wood Pile - Wall Hook




I'll call it a coat rack, but that's not how I'd use it. I would use most cost racks as part of a gallery wall to hang pictures, wreaths, findings...whatever.

My hubby helper laughed at me several times while assembling this because he said it looked like the sample boards his father& he used to make ALL the time when he spent a decade of his life with a high-end painting company, residential& commercial. But,....

Here's a super easy project. I cut a length of a pallet board, three pieces of wood moulding. Then I grabbed my bucket o' joint compound & some tealish craft paints, & peacock blue. I blobbed a bit of joint compound onto the pallet board, squirted several blues on, used a putty knife to squish the compound into the paint& smeared it all over the board...& sides, don't forget the sides.  Then I mixed a chartreuse green color for the moulding, dry, little bit of copper rub'n'buff, hated it. Little bit of dry brushing of a deep charcoal color on moulding & a little on pallet board. I let it mostly dry to the touch & spritzed paint thinner at it. Let it set for a while, till it looked like it was working, then scrapped it away. I think I also sprayed Murphy's oil soap on part of it...It's been a while. I did NOT mix my blues into one blue completely, let it be streaky. Btw, this is a truer representation of the color than the pic at the top.



The key plate with key was clearance at hobby lobby, $3.47 & maroon. I painted it with ivory craft paint, nope. I sprayed it with water, better. Did it a couple times, better. I rubbed it with fine steel wool& left the shavings on it & sprayed it with Modern Masters Metal Effects iron patina solution a couple if times, rusty, crusty & beautiful. 

I attached everything with liquid nails. I drilled two holes in the key plate& drove in two screws, which I also patina'd with same solution, rusty, beautiful!


Onto the next!


No comments:

Post a Comment